Jul 22, 2010

Behind the Lens: Blue Jeans Jewelry

Crazy Lace Blue Agate Necklace by Blue Jeans Jewelry

Taking the perfect Etsy photograph is a tall order. Even the most experienced sellers and photographers will tell you that there is always more to learn about getting just the right shot to showcase your product. What makes the Etsy community so wonderful is that sellers are always willing to share their experience and insight to help newcomers improve their skills. With Behind the Lens, we invite you to meet some of our talented Oh Canada Team members, and learn how they create great shop photos.

Blue Jeans Jewelry, aka aosta, has been in business on Etsy since April of 2010. Andrea’s jewelry photos are really enticing - elegant and sophisticated. Here’s how she does it:

Oh Canada: What type of camera do you use? What do you like/dislike about it?

Andrea: I use a Canon T1i Rebel, and I really love this camera. Photography is not my forte, but with just a bit of reading, and some help from my husband, I've been able to get some really beautiful photos. I really cannot say anything bad about this camera, I just have to put more time in getting to know her.

Oh Canada: How do you light your images?

Andrea: I rely on natural sunlight for my photos. I mainly use my large, south facing window. We have a large overhang, so there is rarely direct sunlight, just nice, bright light.

Oh Canada: Do you use a light box? Is it handmade or professional?

Andrea: I have not tried a light box yet, but I've some of the results I've seen make it tempting to try.

Oh Canada: What materials do you like to use for backgrounds? Which ones work best and why?

Copper Wire Cabochon and Crystal Pendant by Blue Jeans Jewelry

Andrea: Most of my photos are just a plain white background, but I have been playing around with a few different props. I try to look at the nature of the item I'm photographing and then chose an appropriate background. For a wire-wrapped stone, I used stones as the background and really liked the effect.

Oh Canada: Do you ever use models or props for staging your photos? Why or why not?

Andrea: I have not used a model yet. The main reason is that I do not know anyone willing.

Oh Canada: What’s your best tip for staging product shots?

Andrea: I'm still really quite new at this, but my favourite tip so far has been to use natural light, and never, ever use the flash.

Oh Canada: What’s the minimum number of photos you take per item?

Andrea: It depends on whether or not my idea is working out or not, but I tend to take between 10 and 20 shots of an item, sometimes more.

Oh Canada: Do you edit your photos before using them? What program do you use?

Andrea: I sometimes edit the photos, usually just to soften the shadows, and I use Photoshop.

Oh Canada: In your opinion, what makes a great “first photo” on Etsy?

Andrea's Favorite Photography Area

Andrea: I like the first photo to be artsy, and leave a bit to the imagination, making you want to see more. The rest of the shots, I prefer to be straightforward.

Oh Canada: When making treasuries, what do you look for in a first photo?

Andrea: When putting together a treasury, I'm usually looking for a mood, and that comes down to the overall colour or hue of the photo.

Oh Canada: Can you share one more Etsy photo tip?

Andrea: Have fun with photography, and try lots of different things.

Copyright 2010 Oh Canada and Blue Jeans Jewelry


6 comments:

bstudio said...

Thanks for your photography tips Andrea!

soapstar said...

great tips Andrea, thank you! ☺

Melissa said...

I love the rebel also !
glad your enjoying exploring with photography !

Littlebearsmom said...

Great tips! And that agate necklace is gorgeous!!!

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

Thank-you so much for the feature Mortira, and the compliments everyone.

WTF Store said...

Thank you for sharing your insights with us!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Contributors

Topics

accessories alberta all natural animals anterosurbanwood antique apron arly art autumn autumn 2012 awards awareness babies and kids bag banner contest barware bath and beauty beadwork behind the lens billiemonster birthstone blog help blue bracelet bridal british columbia butlerpottery canada canada day canadian landmarks canvas carvelcountrysoaps castillejacotton ceramic charity charm children christmas claraclips clothing collectique colors comments crochet cushion cover custom art cute dolls and miniatures earth day ecco friendly eco-friendly ecofriendly edibles embroidery etsy etsy help etsy tools Etsy. etsyteams fabric Facebook fall fashion featured on etsy felting fiber arts fibre finalists fine arts flag flowers framed art friday finds geography gift exchange gift guide gifts gray green hair accessories Halloween handbags handmade handsewn heirloom history holiday home accessory home decor hostess gift interactions j2studioscraft jewelry knitting kris kringle landscape lapis lazuli leather Link Love maple men minimade misticalacscents mitts mom mothers day natural nature necklace needle felted notecards ocean octchallenge Oh Canada Team ohcanadateam olympics ontario orange organic ornament painting paper goods patriotic pauperhandmade peacockandlime pearl pen Persian rug pet portrait philosophiacreations photography picture pink pinterest postcard poster sketch pottery prankepaintings Prince Edward Island promotions puppets purple quebec quilts rainbow recipe recycled recycledandresewn red rings roses sale sandrascardshop Scavenger Hunt school seatbelt cover secret santa sewing sewinggranny shawl Shop Critiques shop spotlight shopping silver soap souvenir special occasions spring stationery sterling silver stone summer tagging team news team sale team spirit thankyou cards thecottageworkroom theme board theoldbarndoor toxiedesigns toys treasury treasury blitz Treasury Challenge tree decoration tutorial upcycled vegetarian vintage vitrine wall art Weezi wheat white winner winter wood woodworking wool yarn yellow zigzagstitches